Boykin Spaniel Invasion - Sites
Don't give up! Go back to the clues and try again. Branch
The City of Camden developed Town Green in 2011 as a community gathering place. Town Green is home to two statues by Camden native Maria Kirby-Smith. The statues are of King Hagler of the Catawba Nation, Patron Saint of Camden, and of Col. Joseph Kershaw, Father of Camden.
The Alley Way between Town Green and Broad Street is a beautiful connector between the city's main street and a lovely park.
The Clock Tower is located at 950 Broad Street. The park is located diagonally across the street from the Tower.
The Clock Tower houses the 1824 town clock and the King Hagler weathervane, a replica of the original 1826 weathervane now housed inside the Archives & Museum.
Located on historic Campbell Street, the Tennis Center features tennis courts, pickleball courts, a walking trail, and a pro-shop.
Campbell Street is historically the heart of Camden's African American community. For many years, African American residences, schools, churches, and businesses dominated this area.
Robert Mills, South Carolina native and designer of public buildings and monuments across the eastern United States from Pennsylvania to Florida, designed this courthouse in 1825. Originally, the Mills Courthouse has six brown sandstone Ionic columns across the front. In 1847, renovations to the courthouse included replacing the original columns with four Doric Columns on the front portico.
The Cultural Center is home to two exhibits each year that highlight the history and culture of Camden's African-American community.
Completed in 1956, this Colonial Revival building is Camden's fifth City Hall. Like it's predecessors, it features a King Hagler weathervane, a replica of the iconic 19th century weathervane on display at the Archives & Museum.
Hampton Park is bordered by Lyttleton, DeKalb, Fair, and Hampton Park Streets. Named after Confederate General and Governor Wade Hampton, III, it's five acres is a showplace of flowering shrubs and tree, pathways, and a century old horse watering fountain.
9. Bethesda Presbyterian Church
602 East Dekalb Street
Built in 1822, Bethesda Presbyterian Church is an architectural masterpiece and a wonderful example of architect Robert Mill's work. This beautiful Greek Revival structure features a steeple on the rear of the church and a scissor stairway leading to five landings that represent the five porches of Bethesda in the Bible.
The Church is also home to the Robert Mill's designed monument to Baron Johann de Kalb. de Kalb, a hero of the American Revolution, was fatally wounded at the Battle of Camden in August 1780. Originally buried in the colonial town, his remains were re-interred here in 1825. The foundation stones are granite and are surmounted by an obelisk of white marble. The names of the 24 states in existence in 1825 are cut into the 24 foundation stones. The Marquis de Layafette laid the cornerstone at the re-internment ceremony.
Planted in 1825 to celebrate the visit of the Marquis de Lafayette, hero of the American Revolution, this is the sole survivor of a once grand double row of cedar trees.
The present Kershaw County Courthouse was constructed in 1968.
This was the first public library in Camden. Built with a $5000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation, the library opened in 1915 and served as the town library until 1973. Since then, the building has been home to the city's archives and museum. The museum has exhibits on the history of Camden and Kershaw County and is home to the 1826 King Hagler weathervane and the 1824 city clock.
Reconciliation by artist Maria Kirby-Smith is located on the site. Reconciliation consists of two bronze statues of Camden natives, Bernard Baruch, world-reknowned financier and philanthropist, and Larry Doby, the first African American baseball player in the American League.